About This Program
The Award of Achievement in Digital Photography is a part-time program for anyone who wants to move beyond the “point-and-shoot” approach to photography.
The program is designed to give you the in-depth knowledge you need to evaluate any photographic situation and be able to instinctively determine what settings, lenses, and techniques to use to capture the image you want.
- Operate their camera in aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual modes to create desired/anticipated results with consistency
- Identify qualities of light and use it to create the image they want
- Apply elements of composition to create compelling images
- Select and use equipment (lens, filters, lighting aid) to create the desired effect
- Utilize post-processing techniques to enhance an image
- Apply advanced techniques to photograph specific subjects such as landscape, portraits, etc.
Who is this for?
While the Award of Achievement in Digital Photography is open to everyone, it will be particularly useful for:
- Amateur photographers who want a richer understanding of their camera’s settings and capabilities so that they can achieve their desired results with every photo they take
- Professionals whose jobs increasingly require excellent photography skills, including marketers, copywriters, publicists, social media managers, and communications professionals
- People seeking employment in communications or creative field who need to improve their marketability with relevant, in-demand skills
- Passionate enthusiasts who recently purchased a digital SLR camera and want to say goodbye to the “Auto” setting and enjoy true creative control
Ready to get started?
Review program requirements
For a complete list of courses required for this program, please see the Program Requirements section below. The following courses may be offered this semester:
|Composition: Hit Them with Your Best Shot|
|Foundations of Photography: Begin with the Basics|
|Lighting: The Photographer's Palette|
|Action Photography: Capturing the Moment|
|Adobe Photoshop Fundamentals|
|Enhance and Organize your Photos in Lightroom|
|Landscape and Nature Photography: The Art of Seeing|
|Studio Photography: From Food and Family to Pet and Portraits|
The courses that comprise this program are broken down into Required and Elective courses. Complete all required courses and three electives (One software course and two advanced photography course) within a specified timeframe with a passing grade and obtain an Award of Achievement in Digital Photography.
There are no prerequisites for most courses but learners should complete the three core courses before proceeding to the electives.
- Foundations of Photography: Begin with the Basics (15 hrs)
- Composition: Hit them with your Best Shot (15 hrs)
- Lighting: The Photographer's Palette (15 hrs)
Software elective (you must take one):
- Adobe Photoshop Fundamentals (18 hrs) or Enhance and Organize your Photos with Adobe Lightroom (15 hrs)
Advanced photography elective (you must take two):
- Studio Photography: From Food and Family to Products and Portraits (15 hrs) or Action Photography: Capturing the Moment (15 hrs) or Landscape and Nature Photography: The Art of Seeing (15 hrs)
To receive your Award of Achievement, please notify us by email once you have completed all requirements for this program. Your email should include your full name, date of birth, and program name.
All required and elective courses must be completed within two calendar years. It’s important to note that you don’t have to take all the courses at once and can stagger them over time.