This course can be applied toward a program:
- Digital Photography (elective)
Learn basic Photoshop skills and get comfortable using the essential tools in the world's most powerful photo-editing software. Topics include: resizing and cropping images, creating and editing selections, combining images with layers, adjusting colours, basic retouching and adding text to images. Resolution and file formats will also be discussed. You will also have the opportunity to work on your personal photos if you like.
Advanced topics, including adjustment layers and layer masks, are briefly demonstrated, just in case you want to glimpse into the vortex of Photoshop's true power. You will not, however, need special glasses or visors to protect your sanity (it's not that kind of vortex).
Basic photography experience is an asset but not required. Please note you will need a subscription to Adobe Photoshop for the duration of the course.
Average weekly commitment: 3+ hours. Total course commitment: 18 hours.
When to Register
If you’re registering for the Spring 2023 term (January - April), the registration period is:
- January 9 to 29
You’ll be able to access the online classroom one to two business days after you register. Once you enrol in the online classroom, you’ll have 90 days to complete the course. During these 90 days, you’ll have access to all courses materials as well as the mentor.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Navigate the Adobe Photoshop interface
- Find menus, tools, panels and viewing options
- Place images into Photoshop to manipulate file sizes and resolutions
- Apply colour and swatches to photos, including foreground and background colours
- Differentiate between the Paint Bucket tool, Gradient tools, Eyedropper tool, Red Eye tool, Clone Stamp tool, and Healing Brush
- Use basic editing and retouching skills on images
- Format layer effects including Blur and Sharpen techniques
- Produce images for the web
Module 1: Getting Started with Photoshop
Module 2: Resizing and Cropping
Module 3: Working with Layers
Module 4: Enhancing an Image
Module 5: Making Selections and Retouching Images
Module 6: Colour, Text, and Shapes
- Basic keyboarding capability
- Basic internet navigation skills
- Basic file management knowledge
- Please note you will need a subscription to Adobe Photoshop CC for the duration of the course.
- Windows or Mac computer (desktop or laptop) that meet the Adobe Photoshop system requirements.
- High-speed internet (at least 25 Mbps download speed) – Find out your internet connectivity speed.
Add the course to your cart to register.
Jan 01 – Apr 30 2023
Course Reference Number (CRN) 91018
Instructor Personal Mentor
Sorry, this course is closed for registration at this time. NOTIFY ME WHEN REGISTRATION OPENS