This course provides you with the tools and resources to recognize musical elements; for example, what rhythm pattern a song has, where the melodic outline is going, or what kind of harmony a music piece has. You will also differentiate a variety of genres and styles and will be able to explain what is happening in a musical piece. Approaching music from different perspectives (historical, sociological, philosophical and even physical!) you will develop a basic but thorough understanding of how music works, as well as how to understand and appreciate it better. You'll also discover different cultures, societies and people starting from their music. Immerse yourself in the active and creative process of music appreciation and at the end of this course, you will become the guide in this musical tour!
This is a face‐to‐face course with 5 sessions and 2 hours per session. Total course commitment 10 hours.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Determine what music is from different perspectives
- Recognize different musical history periods
- Differentiate music cultures, music genres and musical instruments
- Analyze music examples and recognize their music elements, genre, style, origin, and time
- Describe a musical piece from top to bottom
Module 1: Music Everywhere
Module 2: Music Theory 101
Module 3: The Briefest History of Music
Module 4: Music and Decolonization
Module 5: Music Guided Tour
- No musical experience necessary
- A mobile device/cell phone with recording/playing capabilities
Sorry, this course is closed to registration at this time.Notify me when registration opens