This course can be applied toward a program:
- Teaching Online (required)
Now is the ideal time to learn the ins and outs of online learning technologies. But how do you sort through all the platforms, systems and applications? This course gives you the vocabulary and tools you need to ask the right questions and understand the fundamental concepts of technology in online learning. You’ll learn about key software and hardware options as well as best technology practices in this ever-evolving field.
Average weekly commitment: 3+ hours. Total course commitment: 15+ hours.
When to Register
If you’re registering for the Spring 2023 term (January - April), the registration period is:
- January 9 to 29
You’ll be able to access the online classroom one to two business days after you register. Once you enrol in the online classroom, you’ll have 90 days to complete the course. During these 90 days, you’ll have access to all courses materials as well as the mentor.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define basic information technology terms and concepts as they apply to creating, delivering and hosting online learning
- Explain how a learning management system (LMS) functions and how it enables online learning
- Discuss the use of video in online learning
- Explore the key technology issues in developing and delivering online learning to mobile devices (M-learning)
- Explain the methods used for integrating online learning into learning platforms, including SCORM, LTI, and API Tin Can
- Describe the common information technology (IT) challenges involved in online learning
- Outline key questions about technology and online learning that organizations should ask
Module 1: Online Learning Technology - Overview
Module 2: Learning Management Systems
Module 3: Software Tools
Module 4: Other Devices and More
- Basic keyboarding capability
- Basic internet navigation skills
- Basic file management knowledge
- Windows or Mac computer (desktop or laptop)
- High-speed internet (at least 25 Mbps download speed) – Find out your internet connectivity speed.
Sorry, this course is closed to registration at this time.Notify me when registration opens