This course can be applied toward a program:
- Bookkeeping for Small Business (required)
Are you a new bookkeeper or accountant? Do you have a business and want a better understanding of what your bookkeeper does? Or maybe you just need a review of bookkeeping before taking QuickBooks or more advanced accounting courses? This course covers the basics of bookkeeping concepts and procedures, including the accounting cycle, important accounts in bookkeeping, and the balance sheet and the income statement. You learn the double-entry system of debiting and crediting accounts, as well as how to record day-to-day business transactions related to customers, vendors, owners, and accounting for cash.
NOTE: This is an online cohort-based course. You can complete the course at a time and place of your choosing. However, be mindful of weekly deadlines and expect to commit 4-5 hours a week. There will be an optional one-hour live Q&A session with an instructor each week.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain fundamental bookkeeping principles and procedures
- Understand basic information on the balance sheet and the income statement
- Set up the books, including the chart of accounts, general journal entries and the general ledger
- Record day-to-day business transactions using the double-entry system, including vendor, customer and owner activities
- Account for cash
Module 1: Delving into Bookkeeping
Module 2: Setting up and Maintaining the Books
Module 3: Accounting for Vendor Activities
Module 4: Accounting for Customer Activities
Module 5: Accounting for Owner Activities and Cash
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, you need basic MS Excel skills for completing the assignments. These include opening and saving workbook; entering and converting numerical and text data; selecting, copying, and pasting data; freezing rows and columns; splitting screen; and moving across worksheets.
- You will need a computer with microphone and webcam to attend Q&A sessions
- High-speed internet (at least 25 Mbps download speed)
Add the course to your cart to register.