This course can be applied toward a program:
- Bookkeeping for Small Business (required)
Are you a new Bookkeeper or Accountant? Do you have a business and want to understand what your Bookkeeper is doing? Or maybe you just need a review of bookkeeping before taking QuickBooks or more advanced accounting courses? This course covers the basics of bookkeeping concepts and procedures, including the accounting cycle, important accounts in bookkeeping, and the Balance Sheet and the Income Statement. You learn the double-entry system of debiting and crediting accounts. You also learn how to record day-to-day business transactions related to customers, vendors, owners, and accounting for cash.
This is an online cohort-based course. You can complete the course at a time and place of your choosing. However, be mindful of weekly deadlines and expect to commit 4-5 hours a week. There will be an optional one-hour live Q&A session with an instructor each week.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain fundamental bookkeeping principles and procedures
- Explain basic information on the Balance Sheet and the Income Statement
- Set up the books, including the Chart of Accounts, General Journal Entries and the General Ledger
- Record day-to-day business transactions using the double-entry system, including vendor, customer and owner activities
- Account for cash
Module 1: Delving into Bookkeeping
Module 2: Setting up and Maintaining the Books
Module 3: Accounting for Vendor Activities
Module 4: Accounting for Customer Activities
Module 5: Accounting for Owner Activities and Cash
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, you need basic MS Excel skills for completing the assignments. These include opening and saving workbook; entering and converting numerical and text data; selecting, copying, and pasting data; freezing rows and columns; splitting screen; and moving across worksheets.
- You will need a computer with microphone and webcam to attend Q&A sessions
Add the course to your cart to register.
Sep 17 – Oct 21 2020
Course Reference Number (CRN) 93007
Instructor Melina Rousselle
- Sep 10 12 a.m. Orientation Module Opens
- Sep 19 10 – 11 a.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Sep 26 10 – 11 a.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Oct 3 10 – 11 a.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Oct 10 10 – 11 a.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Oct 17 10 – 11 a.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
Sorry, this course is closed for registration at this time. NOTIFY ME WHEN REGISTRATION OPENS