Bookkeeping for Small Business
Award of Achievement
About This Program
The Capilano University Award of Achievement in Bookkeeping for Small Business is a part-time program that prepares learners for an entry-level bookkeeping position in a small business.
Practical courses filled with insights from industry professionals help you develop fundamental knowledge and skills in bookkeeping, and give you the confidence to build your own career or expand your role within your organization.
- Apply fundamental bookkeeping procedures and techniques in both manual and computerized environments
- Set up and maintain the bookkeeping system for existing and new businesses
- Analyze and record routine business transactions
- Create and manage documents for daily operations
- Construct and interpret financial statements
- Utilize Excel skills to support bookkeeping tasks
- Communicate financial and related information with business owners and accountants
Who is this for?
While the Award of Achievement in Bookkeeping for Small Business is open to everyone, it will be particularly useful for:
- Small-business owners or family members wishing to take over the books for the family business
- Administrative assistants wishing to expand their skills and grow within their organization
- Experienced bookkeepers wishing to transition from a paper-based system to a computerized accounting software platform
- Those who need flexibility in their schedule, but want to learn new skills and earn part-time income from home
- Those who seek to upgrade their existing employment skills or begin a job as a bookkeeper
Ready to get started?
Review program requirements
For a complete list of courses required for this program, please see the Program Requirements section below. The following courses may be offered this semester:
|Bookkeeping Fundamentals 1|
|Bookkeeping Fundamentals 2|
|QuickBooks Online 1|
|QuickBooks Online 2|
The courses that comprise the Award of Achievement in Bookkeeping for Small Business are broken down into Required and Elective courses. Complete all required courses and one elective course within a specified time-frame with a passing grade and obtain an Award of Achievement in Bookkeeping for Small Business.
You can take courses in any order provided the prerequisites are met.
All required and elective courses must be completed within two calendar years. It’s important to note that you don’t have to take all the courses at once and can stagger them over time.