This course can be applied toward a program:
- Digital Photography (required)
In this hands-on course, you explore the essentials of photography in depth. You begin by learning what all the controls, buttons and menus on your camera are for and when to use them.
After gaining a thorough understanding of your camera and its capabilities, you examine key photographic concepts, including the fundamentals of digital image capture; aperture and shutter priority; exposure and depth of field; lens selection and more.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to evaluate any photographic situation and know instinctively which settings to use and which lens to go with to achieve the shot you want—even in manual mode.
This is an online cohort-based course. You can complete the course at a time and place of your choosing. However, be mindful of weekly deadlines and expect to commit 3-4 hours a week. There will be an optional one-hour live Q&A session with an instructor each week.
At the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the fundamentals of digital image capture (pixels, sensors, etc.)
- Select the right lens for a shot
- Achieve the correct exposure and manipulate it to achieve desired effects
- Manipulate the speed of exposition to freeze motion or create the feeling of motion
- Manipulate the aperture size to achieve the desired depth of field
- Choose the aperture-priority, shutter speed-priority, manual, and automatic mode appropriately for a situation
Module 1: Getting to Know Your Camera
Module 2: Exposure and Shutter Speed
Module 3: Aperture and Depth of Field
Module 4: Exposure Compensation & Shooting Modes
Module 5: Putting it All Together and Using it in New Settings
- Learners must have access to a digital SLR camera
- A tripod is strongly recommended, but not required
- Learners will need a computer with microphone and webcam to attend Q&A sessions
Add the course to your cart to register.
Sep 15 – Oct 19 2020
Course Reference Number (CRN) 93004
Instructor Mauricio Orozco
- Sep 8 12 a.m. Orientation Module Opens
- Sep 19 11 a.m.– 12 p.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Sep 26 11 a.m.– 12 p.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Oct 3 11 a.m.– 12 p.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Oct 10 11 a.m.– 12 p.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
- Oct 17 11 a.m.– 12 p.m. Q&A Session (Optional)
Sorry, this course is closed for registration at this time. NOTIFY ME WHEN REGISTRATION OPENS