Harmonize your skills with industry demand
In response to the current shortage of Harmony-trained animators, Capilano University Continuing Studies has created the 2D Animation Using Toon Boom Harmony microcredential program. The program is for animators who have relevant experience working in the animation or VFX industry who are looking to expand their expertise and port their existing skills to the Toon Boom Harmony workflow.
The program comprises two 30-hour, non-credit courses. To make the program manageable even if learners are working full time, both courses will be delivered online (asynchronous assignments), with weekly online live meetings (Zoom).
To receive the microcredential, learners must take both courses.
The instructor will be a virtual chat away should challenges arise.
The program breaks down as follows:
Course 1: Toon Boom Harmony Software Introduction (Oct. 3 - 23)
Course 2: 2D Animation Using Harmony: Becoming a Harmony Animator (Nov. 7 - 27)
Participants must complete both courses to earn the microcredential.
Upon successful completion of the program, learners will be able to:
- Adapt, customize and interact with the Harmony node-based Interface
- Create and design art elements to technical specifications (for example, Brush vs Pencil strokes)
- Add keyframes, assign time increments to hierarchical characters, props and other design elements including special effects on the Harmony Timeline
- Demonstrate an understanding of hierarchical node based design, motion, and media delivery
- Examine how Harmony deformers are used and applied for shape change
- Use masks/cutters/seamless systems to create eye, mouth and arm rigs to better understand and troubleshoot Harmony builds
- Animate using rigged and hand-drawn characters
- Use keyframe principles to animate using straight ahead or pose-to-pose workflows.
- Apply principles of aesthetics to create appealing poses and images
- Understand hierarchical-based character build structure
- Create hand drawn as well as puppet-based animation
- Produce a demo reel sequence
- Create peg hierarchies and apply them to create motion
- Manage shape changers using deformation tools
You must be experienced in the animation or visual effects industry, or have completed an animation program. The program does not teach the fundamentals of animation, but focusses on how animation techniques are incorporated into workflows using Toon Boom Harmony. The program is largely self-guided, and is not intended as an introductory offering.
You will need a computer with the following specifications:
- Good internet; 150mbps or better Ethernet connection preferred (50mbps minimum) and strong WiFi.
- Toon Boom Harmony 20 system requirements
Windows 10 or 11
- Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 • Minimum: Intel Core i5 minimum
- Minimum: 8 GB • 500 GB HD Anim 203-02 Syllabus Page 3
- Windows 7 (64-bit, excluding Starter and Home Basic), Windows 8.1 (64 bit), Windows 10 (64 bit)
- Monitor Minimum: 1280 x 800 minimum
- Wacom Bamboo, Intuos or Cintiq
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 • Recommended: Intel Core i7, Xeon or better
- 32 GB of RAM • 2 TB of storage, this can be split by multiple drives
- Windows 10
- Monitor: Recommended: 1920 x 1080, 4K monitors with scaling up to 200% supported
- Wacom Bamboo, Intuos or Cintiq (Toon Boom does not support Huion products)
- macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
- macOS 10.14.6 Mojave
- macOS 10.15.4 Catalina
- macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur
- Minimum: Intel Core i5
- Recommended: Intel Core i7, Xeon or better
- Minimum: 8 GB
- Recommended: 32 GB
- Minimum: 1280 x 800 minimum
- Recommended: 1920 x 1080
- Retina display supported
- Minimum: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB
- Recommended: Radeon Pro 560
- Best : Radeon Pro Vega 64
- Wacom Bamboo, Intuos or Cintiq
Disk Space: 1.25 GB
- A cell phone, iPad or camera capable of recording video footage for reference
- A mirror and stopwatch
One-time-only promotional price
Since this is the first time the program is being offered, it’s being made available for a one-time introductory price of $998 per course. (This is at least a 50% discount from what the program will be offered at in the future). Seats are limited, so register now to take advantage of this not-to-be-missed discount.
Receive 50% off introductory tuition price with special funding for underrepresented groups
Prospective learners who identify as belonging to a group that is underrepresented in the industry (e.g., women, indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, visible minorities and LGBTQ+2S, etc.) can apply for a discount of 50% off the introductory course tuition of $998 (you will pay only $449 per course). If you’re part of an underrepresented group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before registering and let us know if you qualify for the reduced tuition.
Registration is on first come, first served basis, so register early.
To register, you need to visit both course pages and register for each course individually by selecting the ADD TO CART button. You must register for each course (two in total), otherwise your registration will not be processed. The links to the courses can be found above in the Courses section.
Email email@example.com for more information.
This is a microcredential program. A microcredential is a short, focused and competency-based course or program that, upon successful completion, entitles you to receive a digital badge that you can display on sites such as LinkedIn. It’s a verified proof of competency that demonstrates to employers that you have acquired skills in a particular area.
Presented in association with: